36 including six children killed and 23 injured after guesthouses collapses in Cambodia

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Thirty-six people were killed and 23 more injured when a tourist guesthouse under construction in Cambodia collapsed, trapping workers under rubble, officials said on Sunday.

On Sunday prime minister Hun Sen has announced the end of the rescue operation, The Guardian reports.

The 36 dead included six children and 14 women, officials said in a statement that did not detail why children were at the construction site.

Officials said rescue operations ended two days after the seven-storey concrete building collapsed on Friday in the coastal town of Kep, about 160 km (100 miles) southwest of the capital Phnom Penh.

In a news conference, Hun Sen said the couple who owned the building and hired the construction crew had been detained and sent to court to face charges. He did not specify the charges.

Cambodia is undergoing a construction boom, with hotels, high-rises and casinos springing up under little regulatory oversight.

However, he defended the government response and said that no officials in Kep province would be fired.

Kep provincial authorities said earlier that a committee had been formed to investigate the cause of the accident, which a provincial police official had said occurred when concrete was being poured on its top level.

Cambodia is undergoing a construction boom, with hotels, high-rises and casinos springing up under little regulatory oversight.

“Building collapses don’t only happen in Cambodia … they happen elsewhere … including in the United States,” Hun Sen said in the news briefing.

Via The Guardian / Reuters / Sydney Morning Herald News

 

Once you're here...