All Schools and Child Care Centres in Malta shutdown
4381 Min Read
Prime Minister Robert Abela has announced that all schools and childcare centres will close down for a week. This Prime Minister explained that Government sought to balance the educational and health requirements and considered that this was the opportune moment to take such decision. Malta is among eight nations to take this decision which also covers the University of Malta.
A number of private schools had already taken this decision unilaterally throughout the morning.
Referring to a request by the Employers Association, the Prime Minister added that the health authorities have not advised in favour of the closure of places of work, although individual entities were free to take such decisions if they so wished.
Meanwhile, a number of local organisations cancelled a number of activities planned for the coming days. Premier League football matches will by played behind closed doors.
Update – Catholics are being given dispensation from attending Sunday Mass as part of measures taken by the Maltese Curia to stop the spread of Coronavirus.
All religious functions, including Mass and catechism classes, are being suspended with immediate effect.
With regard to funerals, the Church said that there will be ceremony to bless the remains at the cemetery, which is an outdoor place. Only the closest relatives should attend, while the priest then says Mass for the dead person in private.
Churches will remain open during normal times for private prayers.