Lebanon extends coronavirus shutdown, PM warns of second wave

Lebanon extended its coronavirus lockdown by two weeks on Tuesday with the prime minister warning that failure to comply with a gradual easing of curbs risked a second wave of infections.

Lebanon has recorded 741 cases of the novel coronavirus and 25 deaths. The government started to ease some restrictions this week, allowing restaurants to open but at only 30% of capacity.

In an apparent reference to low rates of infection, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the general assessment was “excellent”.

But he also told a meeting of the country’s supreme defence council that “citizens did not comply with the restrictions and measures that are being gradually reduced”.

The government formally extended the shutdown until May 24 at a cabinet meeting later on Tuesday.

Economic activity would still be allowed to resume gradually under a previously defined time frame. The security forces and army would be asked to act strictly to prevent violations.

Read more via Gulf News/Reuters

Discover more from The Dispatch

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights