Updated 1200
MEA says PM inviting ‘anarchy’ by defending driving test racket
The Malta Employers Association have lambasted Prime Minister Robert Abela’s response to a scandal revealing covert arrangements for driving tests, describing it as “an extreme endorsement of anarchy.” In a strongly-worded statement, the Malta Employers’ Association expressed their disapproval of the government’s attempt to downplay such scandals by suggesting that it is an inherent part of the political system. They deemed this approach unacceptable and cautioned that it sends a perilous message to all segments of Maltese society. The statement from the lobby group further contended that “the Prime Minister’s stance on this matter is an open invitation to disregard established and reliable systems, enabling individuals and businesses to either expedite their legitimate processes or, even worse, gain entitlements they should never have, at the expense of others. It also sets a precedent for future administrations to conduct their affairs in a similar fashion. This is not how a political system should operate.”
30% of post-2016 dwellings have less than four rooms – NSO
Census data indicates that among the 55,572 dwellings built after 2016, 16,680 of them comprise fewer than four rooms. These smaller dwellings now constitute 30% of all post-2016 constructions, marking an increase from 23% in the previous five years and a significant rise from the 10% observed in the early 2000s. The Census also identified 34,705 occupied dwellings with fewer than four rooms, and 48% of these were constructed after 2016. Additionally, the average number of rooms in Maltese dwellings built after 2016 has decreased from 4.7 (for those constructed in the preceding five years) to 4.4. (Maltatoday)
Every ‘new’ Air Malta flight will be profitable – PM
Prime Minister Robert Abela told Parliament that negotiations with the European Commission on Air Malta focused on the fundamental objective of ensuring the existence of a dedicated national airline for Malta. The PM revealed that these critical negotiations spanned approximately 30 months. Notably, officials from the Finance Ministry successfully persuaded the Commission to agree to a total fleet size of eight aircraft, a departure from the Commission’s initial proposal of six. Furthermore, Abela argued that the government had also reached agreements regarding the desired number of essential destinations and seat load factors. These factors will be instrumental in ensuring the profitability of every flight. (The Malta Independent)
Morning Briefing
House debates Air Malta developments
The Speaker of the House of Representatives initially rejected the Opposition’s request for an urgent debate on Air Malta. However, shortly thereafter, the Prime Minister expressed his willingness to engage in a discussion on the topic, and the House agreed to hold the debate today. In response to the Opposition’s request, Opposition Leader Bernard Grech accused the government of avoiding a discussion on the matter. Although the Speaker ruled that the request was not “urgent”, the PM accepted to hold a debate in the evening. Earlier in the day, the PM revealed that on March 31 next year, a fresh national airline, still carrying the name Air Malta, will embark on its inaugural flight, taking over from the existing flag carrier, which is set to conduct its final flight on March 30. The PM explained that an agreement had been struck with the European Union to facilitate the transition to the new airline, following the European Commission’s earlier rejection of a government plea for additional state funding for the current carrier. Abela expressed confidence that the new airline would be more efficient, achieve a higher passenger load factor, and become profitable within approximately two years.
Media reform on the cards – PM
Prime Minister Robert Abela announced on Monday that the government will release a White Paper outlining proposed media reform laws, following the final report submitted by a committee of media experts he appointed last year. This move was in response to requests from various stakeholders, including the Institute of Maltese Journalists, journalists, editors, academics, and media organizations. The report, which was completed in July, was handed over to Prime Minister Robert Abela and subsequently presented in parliament. The committee, established by the government in line with recommendations from a public inquiry into the murder of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia in 2017, was tasked with assessing local laws and suggesting improvements.
Driving tests racket: PM, Minister, Labour MPs defend Ian Borg
Prime Minister Robert Abela remained steadfast in his support for Minister Ian Borg, who has been involved in assisting individuals with their driving tests or expediting their exam scheduling, even as three officials face corruption charges related to this practice. Abela emphasized that Borg was fulfilling his role as a minister by aiding individuals with “legitimate requests.” Abela underscored that every ministry, from the Office of the Prime Minister down to ministry secretariats, employs officials tasked with assisting the public, regardless of their political affiliations, in meeting their everyday needs. Members of the Labour Party, including ministers and MPs, have united in their stance, asserting that they perceive no wrongdoing in Minister Ian Borg and his team communicating with a Transport Malta official regarding driving tests. (MaltatodaY)
