EU membership talks start with Ukraine, Moldova; progress for Montenegro

War-torn Ukraine and neighbouring Moldova are now officially in accession talks with the European Union. Both countries were granted EU candidate status in 2022.


The landmark move has been hailed as historic and is the start of a complex process that could take years.
On June 25, the European Union officially started accession negotiations with Ukraine and Moldova – a move lauded by many officials as a marker in the history of EU accessions.


Both countries have made rapid progress on structural reforms mandatory to join the bloc over the last two years. In December, EU government leaders had already stated the talks could start if the two former Soviet republics did some additional homework.


The landmark move signals a vote of confidence in Kyiv’s future at a time when Moscow has momentum on the battlefield almost two and a half years into Russia’s invasion.
“This is a truly historical moment for my country,” said the Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine, Olga Stefanishyna, who noted that the start of talks gives Ukrainians “the moral power to continue withstanding” Russia.


Moldova, a former Soviet republic, is holding presidential elections in October. The country’s pro-Western authorities frequently accuse the Kremlin of interfering in its internal affairs. Russia also has troops stationed in the breakaway region of Transnistria.
While acknowledging and praising the progress made by both countries, some pointed out that the opening of talks is the symbolic start of the membership process. This process is likely to take years – and may never lead to membership.


“The path ahead will be challenging,” said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen. European Council President Charles Michel pointed out that Ukraine and Moldova will have to continue carrying out “substantial reforms” to comply with the 33 chapters that make up the accession process.
“It is the official start of a very complex and long process,” according to Czech minister for European Affairs, Martin Dvořák, recalling the 15-year-long accession talks of his country.


Russia’s war in Ukraine has reinvigorated a push in the EU to take on new members, after years in which countries’ progress to join has seemingly slowed down, particularly in the Western Balkans.
The EU in December 2023 also granted candidate status to former Soviet republic Georgia. In March, the bloc also approved the conditional opening of accession negotiations with Bosnia and Herzegovina and has talks ongoing with Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and North Macedonia.
   
For Ukraine this process is strewn with political obstacles.

Standing in the way along that journey will be not just Russia’s efforts at destabilisation but reticence from doubters inside the EU, most notably Hungary who will assume the six-month rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union on July 1.
Budapest has been opposed to pressing ahead with Kyiv’s membership bid, arguing that Ukraine was unfairly moving ahead for political reasons.

Accession negotiations can begin because Budapest lifted its veto on the process which can only advance with the unanimity of all member states. Hungary demanded that Ukraine respects the rights of the Hungarian minority in the country and after intense discussions this is now noted in the EU’s negotiation framework document.
Accepting Ukraine, a country of some 40 million people, would be a major step for the EU, and there are calls for the bloc to carry out reforms to streamline how it works before accepting new members.
It is currently considered impossible for Ukraine to become a member state prior to the end of the Russian war of aggression.
If Ukraine was a member, Kyiv could then call for military assistance in accordance with Article 42, paragraph 7 of the EU Treaty – and the EU would be a war party.
The negotiations also come at a tense time in Moldova after the United States, Britain and Canada warned of a Russian “plot” to influence the country’s presidential elections in October.
   
Montenegro moving forward after seven years of virtual standstill Besides talks with Ukraine and Moldova, this week officials have held their 16th meeting of the Accession Conference with Montenegro to take stock of Podgorica’s progress. This included advances in reaching interim benchmarks regarding the rule of law chapters.
EU Commissioner for Enlargement Olivér Várhelyi said that Montenegro has “met the interim benchmarks in the rule of law area” and can now move on to “start closing chapters”.
The Balkan country obtained candidate status in 2010 and accession negotiations began in 2012.
Montenegro’s Prime Minister Milojko Spajić spoke of a “historic moment” but also acknowledged that his country “had a long period of drought”. He further stated his country had achieved results in the past seven months that were comparable to those achieved over the last seven years and hopes for his country to become a member state by 2028.


Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said in a speech in parliament on June 26, that the new government in Skopje had “not made a good start” and had violated obligations under international agreements with regard to North Macedonia’s aspiration to join the EU. All EU member states must agree to the enlargement.
In his first week as prime minister, Mickoski also caused tensions to rise again with North Macedonia’s eastern neighbour Bulgaria by saying that the negotiating framework for the country’s accession to the European Union can be changed.
Read more via ANSA

Discover more from The Dispatch

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights