As preparations get underway in Tel Aviv for this year’s edition of the Eurovision Song Festival, as usual there is much speculation about who will win.
Among the bookmakers top 10 favourite songs for the Tel Aviv festival is Malta’s Michela with her song ‘Chameleon’
According to Eurovision world, Michela is in the seventh place of the top ten favourites.
The event will take place from May 14-18 in Tel Aviv. Israel was chosen to host the contest after local singer Netta Barzilai won last year in Portugal with “Toy”, propelling her to international stardom. The winning country customarily hosts the following year.
This year’s venue is not lacking controversy amid fears of more violence between Israel and the Palestinians. Pro-Palestinian activists have called for a boycott of the festival and in January some 50 British celebrities, including singers Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel, wrote a letter calling on the BBC to press for the 2019 Eurovision contest to be relocated.
The top ten contenders to win this year, according to Eurovisionworld.com’s online rankings based on bookmakers’ predictions:
1. Duncan Laurence – Arcade – The Netherlands
2. Sergey Lazarev – Scream – Russia
3. Mahmood – Soldi – Italy
4. Chingiz – Truth – Azerbaijan
5. John Lundvik – Too Late For Love – Sweden
6. Luca Hänni – She Got Me – Switzerland
7. Michela – Chameleon – Malta
8. Hatari – Hatrið mun sigra – Iceland
9. Tamta – Replay – Cyprus
10. Katerine Duska – Better Love – Greece