Italian region of Lombardy in continuous battle against the advance of the coronavirus

Reading Time: 2 minutes

With 3,405 coronavirus victims, Italy on Thursday outnumbered China, which had 3,245 in total. In Lombardy 19,884 positive (+2,171) and 2,168 dead (+209) and so far is the hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Italy.

This week Lombardy Governor Attilio Fontana said medical facilities will “soon” be unable to help new coronavirus cases and urged everyone to stay at home.

“Unfortunately the numbers of the contagion are not falling, they continue to be high,” he said. “We will soon be unable to give a response to those who fall ill”.
“Stay at home: if you don’t understand that we’ll have to be more aggressive”.

A hospital in Bergamo, the Italian province worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic, on Thursday said it “desperately” needed more medical staff and equipment to cope with the influx of patients.

“We desperately need nurses and doctors, as well as ventilation equipment and individual protection devices,” said Stefano Fagiuoli, department of medicine chief at the Papa Giovanni XXIII Hospital.
Writing in English and directing the appeal abroad too, he said the hospital was in a “full emergency”.

Lombardy Welfare Councillor Giulio Gallera on Thursday announced that 65 Cuban doctors and nurses would arrive in hard-hit Crema on Saturday.
“They’ve fought Ebola and so are experts in treating viral diseases,” he said.

Two doctors died with the coronavirus in Como on Thursday, the federation of Italian doctors guilds FNOMCEO said.

They were pneumologist Giuseppe Lanati and family doctor Luigi Frusciante, the group said, both of whom had come out of retirement to work in the emergency.
There have now been 13 deaths among Italian doctors, FNOMCEO said.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Italy’s lockdown will have to be extended beyond the current end-date of April 3 as its daily death toll spiked.

Read more via ANSA

Once you're here...