Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini said Monday that Italy is working on setting up talks between all aides in the Libyan conflict.
Salvini said that Italy is talking to all the parties in conflict, which are more than two, to discuss the matter round a table.
House Speaker Roberto Fico, of the ruling 5-Star Movement (M5S), said the EU should show unity against any military solution to the crisis whilst centre left opposition Democratic Party leader Nicola Zingaretti said Italy’s action in trying to stop the conflict has so far been “weak” and underestimated the danger.
In the meantime at least 2,800 people have fled from the fighting near Libya’s capital, Tripoli, according to the UN.
Other civilians are trapped by the clashes and are cut off from vital emergency services, it says.
Forces under Khalifa Haftar began an attack on the city last Thursday with aim of wresting it from Libya’s UN-backed government.
On Monday there was an air strike at Tripoli’s only functioning airport, Mitiga with reports indicating it was carried out by forces loyal to Haftar but there was no confirmation.
One warplane hit militia targets based at the airport but there were no reports of casualties.