ANSA: Sanremo Music Festival Director Caludio Baglioni has changed the rules at the iconic event so that big-name stars and newcomers are no longer put into two separate categories. Instead of Sanremo having ‘Big’ and ‘New Proposals’ groups, there will be a single category in which the two winners of a new contest for newcomers will be inserted.
The new contest, ‘Sanremo Giovani’ will take place from December 17 to 21.
It will run over six days in two prime-time shows and four pre-evening ones, sources said.
“I’m rasing the bar so as to achieve new records,” said Baglioni, who led a particularly successful edition earlier this year.
The 69th edition of the Sanremo Music Festival will take place on 5-9 February 2019.