The Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom survey was canceled Saturday night after a Pete Buttigieg supporter said the Mayor of South Bend’s name was omitted during a poll call.
Buttigieg’s campaign raised serious concerns about the poll with CNN and the Register, a source familiar with the situation said.
Lis Smith, a senior adviser to Buttigieg’s campaign, confirmed on Twitter that the former South Bend (Ind.) mayor’s campaign had been in touch with the media outlets about the issues and hailed their decision to withhold the results, according to POLITICO.
The report quotes two sources familiar with the poll, one interviewer at the call center used for the survey enlarged the font size on their monitor, potentially cutting off some names on the randomized list of candidates — including Buttigieg’s in the interview in question.
Business Insider writes “that the survey, conducted by J. Ann Selzer of the pollster Selzer & Company, is widely considered the gold standard of Iowa caucus polls, boasting a coveted A+ rating from FiveThirtyEight.
The media outlets couldn’t determine how many interviews may have been affected and whether other candidates may have been left off lists read to respondents in the course of conducting the poll.