Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements(if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We have updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.

UK warns against traveling to Italian coronavirus towns

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Britain advised its citizens to avoid traveling to almost a dozen towns in northern Italy and to self isolate if they had flu-like symptoms after the death toll there from Europe’s worst outbreak of coronavirus rose on Tuesday.

Britain advised against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in the Lombardy region and one in Veneto.

“Those who have been to northern Italy – that is essentially anybody who has been to Italy north of Pisa – should, if they have flu-like symptoms, self isolate,” Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.

“If people have been to the affected areas that the Italian government has quarantined, then they should self isolate whether or not they have symptoms,” Hancock said.

Britain’s Health Ministry also advised travelers returning from Iran, the special care zones of South Korea and China’s Hubei province to self isolate even if they had no symptoms.

Those returning from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar should self isolate if they develop symptoms, the ministry said.

Two schools have closed and another has shut its sixth form after students returned from half-term ski trips in Italy.

The shuttered schools, in Cheshire and Middlesbrough, made the decision as Italian authorities continued to struggle to control an outbreak of COVID-19.

They have both closed for the remainder of the week to carry out a “deep clean” on each of the premises, the schools said in separate statements.

A message to parents from Richard Pollock, the headteacher of Cransley School in Northwich, Cheshire, said the closure would “completely minimise” the risk of infection.

It comes after 29 students and five members of staff visited Bormio, northern Italy, last week, and had since been advised to self-isolate.

Advertisement

A further statement from the school said a “small number” of those who went on the trip began showing “mild flu-like symptoms yesterday”.

Read more via Sky News/ Reuters

Related Posts

%d bloggers like this: