Weinstein’s rape and sexual assault court case starts in US

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Harvey Weinstein has attended a court hearing in the US where his lawyers and a judge handled the final preparations for his trial on charges of rape and sexual assault.

The New York Times reports that prosecutors in Los Angeles have brought an indictment against the producer Harvey Weinstein, charging him with sex crimes, even as his trial on similar charges began in New York City, according to two people with knowledge of the matter.

Last week, a spokesman for the Los Angeles district attorney’s office said it had eight cases under review. The new indictment was unsealed in Los Angeles on Monday, just hours after Mr. Weinstein, who recently had back surgery, hobbled into a Manhattan courtroom with a walker for the start of his rape trial, the people said.

Weinstein, 67, entered the building in New York leaning on a walking aid following recent back surgery, sporting a dark suit and dishevelled hair.

Weinstein has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 80 women, but faces charges related to only two. The movie mogul has admitted that he has “caused a lot of pain” but said all of his relationships were consensual.

w_55747388.jpg

Outside court, some of his accusers including actresses Rosanna Arquette and Rose McGowan demanded he be held accountable. His lawyers have vowed to mount an aggressive defence. The claims against him helped form the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements against sexual impropriety.

Via BBC / New York Times 

Once you're here...