The Democratic Republic of the Congo has recorded a second Ebola death in days following more than seven weeks without a new case, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
The DRC had been set on Sunday to mark an end to the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus on record, until a case was confirmed on Friday in the eastern city of Beni.
The outbreak has killed more than 2,200 people since August 2018 in an area of the country where violence by armed groups hobbled efforts to contain it.
The latest victim was an 11-month-old girl, who was treated at the same health centre as the previous case, a 26-year-old electrician, said Boubacar Diallo, deputy incident manager for the WHO’s Ebola response.
Read more via Al Jazeera