Malta News Briefing – Thursday 21 May 2026

multi colored balconies in valletta on malta

Morning Briefing

BCA Begins Emergency Works Following Naxxar Collapse

Emergency remedial works have begun at the site of last week’s partial building collapse in Naxxar, as authorities move to address safety concerns and reassure affected residents. The Building and Construction Authority confirmed that works started on Tuesday following recommendations made by structural engineer and University of Malta professor Alex Torpiano. Mr Torpiano was appointed by developer Anton Camilleri to prepare a method statement aimed at eliminating risks at the site. Residents met officials from the BCA and Infrastructure Malta earlier this week, where they were informed about the planned intervention and nearby road works. The authority said strict conditions were imposed before works could proceed, including continuous updates supported by photographic evidence and an insurance policy covering the operations. All costs related to the emergency intervention and enforcement are to be covered by the developer. (Times of Malta)

MIA Secures €100 Million Financing for Major Airport Expansion

Malta International Airport has secured €100 million in external financing as it embarks on one of the largest infrastructure upgrades since the airport’s privatisation. Speaking during the company’s annual general meeting, CEO Alan Borg said the financing package consists of two separate loans of €50 million, spread over five and seven years respectively. The funding will support a large-scale investment programme aimed at expanding terminal facilities by 2028. The project will add 26,000 square metres of new space, including 32 additional check-in desks, five departure gates, a crew gate, improved baggage handling systems and expanded commercial areas. Mr Borg said preparatory works are progressing according to schedule, including excavation works and the rerouting of key services. Construction on SkyParks 2 is also advancing steadily, with the hotel expected to be handed over in late 2026.Last year, the company invested €61.6 million in infrastructure and operational projects, equivalent to almost 40 per cent of its annual revenue. (Maltatoday)

GO Reports Record Revenue as Group Expands Beyond Telecoms

GO plc has surpassed the quarter-billion-euro revenue mark for the first time in its history, as the communications group accelerates its expansion beyond traditional telecoms services. During the company’s annual general meeting, Group CEO Nikhil Patil described 2025 as a milestone year, with group revenue reaching €254 million and net profit rising by 32 per cent to a record €20.7 million. GO also completed its nationwide True Fibre rollout, a €100 million investment programme aimed at strengthening Malta’s fibre-to-the-home infrastructure. The company said around 30 per cent of group revenue now comes from sectors outside traditional telecoms. Subsidiaries including BMIT Technologies, AQS Energy and Klikk contributed to growth across digital, cybersecurity and energy sectors. Chairman Lassaad Ben Dhiab said the group continued to invest heavily while maintaining strong shareholder returns, with the board recommending its highest ordinary dividend in five years.

Discover more from The Dispatch

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights