Developing Story – Major fire broke out at Wasteserv in Magħtab (Updated)

Reading Time: 2 minutes

People are asked to avoid the area of Magħtab while residents of Magħtab, Naxxar, and San Gwann to keep their windows shut. This is after a major fire broke out at Wasteserv in Magħtab at around 6.20am.

Dr. Charmaine Gauci, the Superintendent of Public Health  quoted a Press Release issued by the Department of Public Health, that in view of the evolving situation of fire at Maghtab, people who have heart or lung diseases, like heart disease, lung disease, or asthma, are at higher risk from such exposures.

To decrease your risk from exposure to smoke, persons living in the vicinity are advised to:
• Stay indoors and keep indoor air as clean as possible. Keep windows and doors closed.
• Contact your doctor if you experience any health effects such as shortness of breath and other respiratory symptoms. 
• Pay attention to advice released by the Civil Protection Department.
• Further communities may be affected depending on the wind direction.


fire (2).png

More details will follow. 

Malta Today  Fire still rages in parts of the Magħtab waste complex run by Wasteserv after flames broke out early this morning. The massive fire sent a huge plume of toxic black smoke into the air, with people living in the area reporting a foul smell.

The Independent A large fire broke out at Wasteserv’s Maghtab facility at 6 am this morning, the police confirmed with The Malta Independent.

Nobody was injured, and the police were unsure as to whether the fire was at the plastic sorting facility, or where the rubbish is sorted generally. The fire resulted in a massive cloud of black smoke. This is the second major fire in a Wasteserv facility in as many years, as a fire had engulfed part of the Marsascala plant on 22 May 2017.

The Times of Malta – People living anywhere near the centre of the island were alerted to the fire by sounds of fire engines were rushing to the scene. A quick look outside their windows revealed a huge black plume of smoke.

One News reports that the fire took off at 0400 am, when a batches of trashes, which were kept out of the Wasteserv’s facility caught fire.

fire (10).png


fire (3).png

fire (4).png

fire (1)

fire (9).png

fire (8)


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Once you're here...

%d bloggers like this: