Preloader

Fatal gas leak in India

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Eight people, among them an eight-year-old girl, have died, with hundreds of others taken ill, after a gas leak in south India.

The leak, in the city of Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh state, has been traced to a polymer factory.

Doctors said that “hundreds” of people have been taken to hospital – many complaining of a burning sensation in the eyes and difficulties breathing.

The incident took place at the LG Polymers plant.

India officials were quoted as saying that the leaked gas was styrene, which is usually refrigerated.

As the gas spread, residents ran out of their homes in panic.

It is feared that the fumes have spread over a radius of about 3km (2 miles) and officials have been evacuating people from surrounding areas.

Read more via The Times of India

Once you're here...