Future King Distances Monarchy from Prince Andrew with Reported Coronation Ban

The Prince of Wales is reportedly “not satisfied with the outcome” after Prince Andrew, after the former Duke of York, relinquished his titles and honours amid continued controversy over his association with pedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince William is understood to be planning a “more ruthless” approach to his disgraced uncle, banning him from his future coronation and other royal events, according to the Sunday Times.

The newspaper reported that the heir to the throne was consulted on the decision that led to Andrew forfeiting his Duke of York title, but William “knows the ‘Andrew problem’ will be in his in-tray at some point”.

Meanwhile, it is reported Andrew tried to get the Metropolitan Police to ‘dig up information’ about his sexual assault accuser Virginia Giuffre, for a smear campaign.

The Mail on Sunday claimed Andrew passed Giuffre’s date of birth and social security number to his taxpayer-funded bodyguard in 2011 and asked him to investigate her.

Andrew, still a prince and living in the 30-bedroom Royal Lodge mansion, issued a statement in his own words on Friday in which he said he was giving up his Duke of York title and honours to prevent distracting from the work of the monarch and the royal family.

The former duke used the statement to insist claims against him were untrue, saying: “As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me.

“In discussion with the King, and my immediate and wider family, we have concluded the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the Royal Family.

“I will therefore no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me.”

William is always understood to have wanted to take decisive action with regard to the long-running controversy surrounding Andrew and his links to Jeffrey Epstein.

The Sunday Times reported that when William is king, he will ban Andrew from all elements of royal life – public and private – including his coronation, and most state occasions.

Sarah Ferguson, Andrew’s ex-wife, is also expected to be banned from royal events. However, their daughters will still be welcome at family and official gatherings.

The Mail on Sunday also reported that Andrew embarked on a bid to smear Giuffre.

He is said to have emailed the late Queen’s then-deputy press secretary and told him of his request to his protection officer to dig up dirt on Giuffre, and also suggested Ms Giuffre had a criminal record.

The prince’s alleged attempt, on which the police officer is not said to have acted, came in 2011, hours before the newspaper first published the famous photograph of Andrew with his arm around Giuffre in London.

The newspaper said it obtained the email from disclosures held by the US congress.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “We are aware of media reporting and are looking into the claims made.”

A Government minister has called the reports “deeply concerning”.

Energy Secretary Ed Miliband was asked about the reports while appearing on the BBC’s Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg.

He told the programme: “These are deeply concerning allegations. I think people want to look at those allegations and what the substance is behind them.”But if that is correct, that is absolutely not the way that close protection officers should be used.”Asked if he would support legislation to strip Andrew of his titles, the minister insisted the Government would be guided by the Royals.He added: “I think the royal family have said that they didn’t want to take up parliamentary time with this. There are lots of other things that Parliament is discussing.”

Read more via ITV

Discover more from The Dispatch

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights