Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements(if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We have updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.

Italy’s Berlusconi leaves hospital after “dangerous” COVID battle

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi left hospital on Monday after overcoming coronavirus, saying he had survived “the most dangerous challenge” of his life.

“I said to myself, with satisfaction, ‘You have got away with it again’,” a smiling Berlusconi told reporters at the gates of Milan’s San Raffaele hospital, where he was admitted on Sept. 3, after testing positive for COVID-19.

His personal doctor Alberto Zangrillo said last week that the 83-year-old media tycoon had developed pneumonia and was considered a high risk patient because of his age and underlying health conditions, including heart problems.

Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi (2-L) leaves San Raffaele hospital in Milan, Italy, 14 September 2020. Silvio Berlusconi said suffering from COVID-19 was ‘the most dangerous ordeal of my life’, as he was discharged from Milan’s San Raffaele hospital on 14 September. Berlusconi was hospitalized on 04 September with COVID-related bilateral pneumonia. EPA-EFE/MATTEO CORNER

Zangrillo said Berlusconi would have died had he faced the same symptoms in March or April, but that doctors had learnt a lot from the initial onslaught of coronavirus and were better equipped to tackle the illness.

Berlusconi is believed to have caught the virus while on holiday in his villa on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia.

“Each one of us is exposed to the risk of infecting others. I repeat my call for maximum responsibility from everyone,” said the Berlusconi. 

Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi (2-L) speaks to the media as he leaves San Raffaele hospital in Milan, Italy, 14 September 2020. EPA-EFE/MATTEO CORNER

Related Posts

%d bloggers like this: