Mass held in Notre Dame, two months after being ravaged by fire

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The first mass since the Notre Damet was ravaged by fire was held on Saturday.

Saturday’s mass, two months after fire destroyed the roof of the 850-year-old landmark, was held in the side-chapel and was limited to about 20 people “for obvious security reasons”.

Meanwhile environmental campaigners continued to warn over possible lead pollution and the government confirmed that less than 10% of about €850m pledged by individuals and business leaders for its reconstruction has been paid.

The culture minister confirmed on Friday that less than 10% of around €850m (£757m) very quickly pledged to help restore the cathedral has been paid. Among donors who had swiftly offered funds were the luxury goods billionaires Bernard Arnault and François-Henri Pinault as well as several companies and individuals.

But a Notre Dame press officer said on Friday that so far, workers’ salaries and other costs had mostly been covered by donations from US citizens through the charitable foundation Friends of Notre Dame.

“The big donors haven’t paid. Not a cent,” said Andre Finot. “They want to know what exactly their money is being spent on and if they agree to it before they hand it over, and not just to pay employees’ salaries.”

Via The Guardian / France 24 

%d bloggers like this: