The following are the leading stories as reported by Malta’s news portals so far.
The news today is mainly dominated by Adrian Delia’s testimony in his constitutional case against Attorney General Peter Grech, where he is requesting full disclosure of the Egrant report.
‘Prime Minister knows something I don’t about Egrant,’ said Adrian Delia as The Times of Malta reports. Delia argued in court that it is of the essence that the oppostion has full access to the Egrant report, where anything less of fully transperancy is a sign that the Attornet General, Peter Grech is working in favour of one particular party rather than in an impartial way. The inquiry in question had concluded that there was no evidence to support Daphne Caruana Galizia’s claims that Egrant belonged to the Muscats. “For the fulfilment of his duties, the attorney general felt that the prime minister had to have a full copy of the report. I am also entitled to that right in order to be able to perform my function as leader of the opposition,” Dr Delia said.
Delia raised concerns on missing information certain details such as the ‘Know Your Client’ form, consisting of 78 pages that claim that there were only a few transactions over a certain period of time. “How few? What was their value? Did it run into thousands, millions? We don’t know, but the prime minister does,” Dr Delia added.
MaltaToday also reported The AG’s Office’s reply on the matter, saying that while both the role of the Prime Minister and the Opposition leader are both carved inside the constitution, they are still distinct. They continued to argue that Dr Delia does not have the right to certain information within the report. The AG claimed that the case was only made “for the newspapers” which offended Delia, considering the sensitivity of the matters at hand.
TVM reports that children in private schools and church schools no longer have to pay for transport to go to school. This scheme was agreed between the Government and all transport operators on the island. It is expected that around 33,000 students will benefit from the scheme, which is approximately 12,000 more than in previous years. Details are to be released in the near future. The Malta Independent reports that the agreement will last for 5 years, costing the government around 10 million a year. The scheme was part of the Labour Party’s manifesto, though prior to this, the Ministry of Education withheld a ‘minimum intervention’ model where the system would be refund based.
Newsbook headline with proving that a Gozitan who was meant to be sent to Mater Dei Hospital due to a heart attack, died due the fact that no helicopters were available. The new information that came to light recently contradicts the information given by Steward Malta, the company operating such helicopters, where they said that the patient was recommended by doctors to be kept in Gozo. This unfortunately lead to the death of the said patient.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Health Chris Fearne launched an inquiry chaired by Professor Joseph Cacciotolo, while the Minister for Gozo, Justyne Caruana, went on to defend Steward Malta.
One News reports that 5 immigrants were injured in a fight in Marsa at 8.45 yesterday as they had a heated argument with 9 Maltese people.
Net News reports the arrest of a man with ties to multiple thefts of cars and other items. The Police Force said that this was only possible after days of investigations on the cases that lead to his arrest, while other investigations into such cases are still ongoing.
The Malta Independent reports that weeks of police surveillance led to a massive haul of drugs during a raid that took place in Cospicua on Tuesday morning, the police said. Eight people were arrested in the operation. The raids were carried out at a number of residences and a square on Santu Rokku Street. The operation was conducted by the Drugs Squad, the K9 unit and the Special Intervention Unit.
The Times reports that a manager at the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology has resigned suddenly as police investigations into claims of possible sexual misconduct continue, the Times of Malta is informed. Sources said the official, who occupied a senior position in the HR department, left “unceremoniously” in what was described as “a forced resignation to avoid further problems”.